Interstate Child Support Issues

If the non-custodial parent resides in another state, and Missouri does not have legal jurisdiction over the non-custodial parent, an action will be filed in that state using the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA). Child support orders may be enforced or established through UIFSA. Paternity can also be established through the UIFSA.


When the referral is received from the Family Support Division (FSD), the custodial parent will receive paperwork that must be filled out and returned to the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office. The paperwork will then be sent to the state where the non-custodial parent lives and that state will take the necessary legal action. This office will monitor the progress of the case by sending status requests to the responding state at regular intervals.