Becoming a Candidate
Election Year 2023
April 4, 2023 General Municipal Election
- First day to file is December 6, 2022 at 8am (RSMo 115.127.5)
- Last day to file is December 27, 2022 at 5pm (RSMo 115.127.5)
The April General Municipal Election Candidate filing deadline is 5pm on December 27, 2022 at the County Clerk’s Office in the Jefferson County Administration Building. Candidates must use the front door to enter the building.
For April 2023 Election - Filings will be accepted at the County Clerk's Office for Jefferson County Health Department, Community College of Jefferson County (Jefferson Jr. College), Big River Ambulance, Joachim Plattin Ambulance, North Jefferson County Ambulance, Rock Township Ambulance, Valle Ambulance, Festus Special Road District and Hillsboro Special Road District.
All other filings will be accepted at their respective districts.
Each candidate will sign a Declaration of Candidacy (provided by the County Clerk's Office) that if elected the candidate will qualify. Qualifications can be found in the Missouri Revisor of Statutes, the Constitution of Missouri.
First day candidate filers will select a number by random drawing to determine ballot placement on the primary ballot. After the first day to file, candidates will be placed on the ballot in the order of their filing. (RSMo 115.395.2)
Documents Required for Filing
- Proof of Identity: Missouri Driver's License, Voter ID Card, Birth Certificate or other form of identification. RSMo 115.355.4
- Candidate's Affidavit of Tax Payments Form 5120: A copy of an affidavit filed with the Department of Revenue affirming that the candidate is not currently aware of any delinquency in the filing or payment of any state income taxes, personal property taxes, real property taxes on the place of residence, as stated on the declaration of candidacy, or is not a past or present corporate officer of any fee office that owes any taxes to the state, other that those taxes which my be in dispute. You may obtain a copy of this form in the County Clerk's Office or at: http://dor.mo.gov/tax/candidates (RSMo 115.306)
- There are no filing fees.
- The last date to withdraw is the 1oth Tuesday prior to the election without a court order is January 24, 2023.
- The last date to withdraw is the 8th Tuesday prior to the election with a court order is February 7, 2023. (RSMo 115.127.6)
- The candidate must withdraw with the official who accepted such candidate's declaration of candidacy, unless the official has already certified to the County Clerk's Office. The candidate would then need to appear at the County Clerk's Office to withdraw.