Where Do I File

All prospective candidates for political office must officially ’file’. It’s an easy process that requires an individual to prove residency within the political subdivision, meet all state statutory requirements and fill out the necessary forms.

Candidates for Legislature & Judgeship

All candidates for the legislature and those candidates interested in running for Circuit Judge shall file their intent with the Secretary of State’s Office in Jefferson City, Missouri. Associate Circuit Judge candidates file with the County Clerk’s office in Hillsboro.

Candidates for County Offices

Candidates for county offices shall file their intent with the County Clerk’s office. The filing fee is $100 made payable to the political party the individual wishes to represent.

Filing Locations

County Clerk

The County Clerk takes filings for:

  • Assessor
  • Associate Circuit Judge
  • Auditor
  • Circuit Clerk
  • Collector
  • County Clerk
  • County Council
  • County Executive
  • Prosecuting Attorney
  • Public Administrator
  • Recorder of Deeds
  • Sheriff
  • Treasurer

The County Clerk also takes the filings for the following local districts (no filing fees):

  • Ambulance Districts (exception Meramec)
  • Committeeman/Committeewoman of Township
  • Health Board
  • Jefferson County 911 Dispatch Board
  • Special Road Districts
  • Jefferson College - file with Secretary of board (Chapter 178  Revised Statutes of Missouri) (Agreement between the College and the Election Authority for the April 2023 Election only at this time.)

Other Filing Locations

Prospective candidates for the following offices should file accordingly:

  • Fire Board - file at fire district headquarters (Chapter 321  Revised Statutes of Missouri)
  • Mayor/City Council - file with City clerk (Chapter 78  Revised Statutes of Missouri)
  • School Board - file with Secretary of the board at school administrative offices (Chapter 162 Revised Statutes of Missouri)
  • Sewer District - file with Secretary of board (Chapter 249  Revised Statutes of Missouri)
  • Towns/Villages - file with Town clerk (Chapter 80  Revised Statutes of Missouri)
  • Water Board - file with Secretary of board (Chapter 247  Revised Statutes of Missouri)