How Do I Appeal?

Taxpayers who wish to appeal their taxes are encouraged to contact the County Assessor’s Office to come to an arrangement. For real estate, please call 636-797-5343. For personal property, please call 636-797-5466.


If a resolution can not be agreed upon, then the taxpayer may fill out the necessary forms to set up a hearing before the Board of Equalization. The taxpayer will be notified of the date and time of the hearing.

Any forms that are not properly completed or any form that is omitted that is required to be submitted may cause that particular appeal to be dismissed by the Board of Equalization.

Written Testimony / Evidence

Any person who wishes to distribute written testimony or evidence on his appeal should prepare 5 copies of any documents.

  • 1 copy for each member of the Board of Equalization
  • 1 copy for the Secretary of the Board
  • 1 copy for the Assessor’s Office


After the taxpayer makes his presentation, the Board will make a decision and a certified letter will be sent to the taxpayer usually within 5 business days.  If the taxpayer disagrees with the decision, he/she may then appeal directly to the State Tax Commission:
P.O. Box 146
Jefferson City, MO 65102

You may call the State Tax Commission at 573-751-1715.