Can I be compensated for losses I have suffered as a victim?

Your insurance company may provide coverage for your personal injury or property loss due to a crime. If your report of a crime results in the offender being placed on probation, the court may order the offender to make restitution to pay for the cost of your injuries, damages, or loss. However, restitution cannot be guaranteed and may not be possible under some circumstances. The Crime Victims’ Compensation Fund may cover certain out of pocket losses as a result of personal injury or death. You may also consider pursuing a civil suit to recover damages.

Victim’s Compensation Fund

You may also be eligible for reimbursement of certain expenses under the Victim’s Compensation Act. To be considered, you must file a claim within one year of the crime that caused the injury. The Division of Worker’s Compensation will investigate and make a determination as to whether you are eligible for funds. This fund is supported by fines paid by those found guilty of crimes.

Property losses are not covered! Contact the Prosecutor’s Office or call 800-347-6881 in Jefferson City for additional information.

Other Assistance

Victims and survivors of certain violent crimes may be referred for special help, including counseling, through a joint project with the Community Mental Health Center (COMTREA)by calling 636-931-2700.

Victims of other crimes who desire notification of court dates need only to furnish a written request to the Victim Services Unit in the Prosecutor’s Office. This project is primarily funded with the Victim of Crime Act Funds, administered by the Missouri Department of Public Safety, Office of the Director. To find out more about any of these services or for information or referrals for family violence, call the Victim Services Unit at 636-797-5097.

Through this project, a Victim Advocate in the Prosecutor’s Office maintains regular contact with victims of violent crimes, and those who request service, ensuring that they are aware of their rights and the progress of their cases going through the criminal justice system. Victims are offered a referral to the Crime Victim Therapist for screening and professional counseling. Additional referrals and other services are provided as deemed appropriate. Through these services, the project seeks to prevent re-victimization, reduce the effects of trauma, and fill a gap in services while coordinating with existing services within the community.

Show All Answers

1. What is a subpoena?
2. How does a complaint become a criminal case?
3. What is a preliminary hearing?
4. What if the judge decides there is not sufficient evidence at the preliminary hearing?
5. Do cases always go to trial if they are not dismissed?
6. What happens if the case gets set for trial?
7. What happens in a trial?
8. How and when is sentencing determined?
9. What if I change my mind about prosecuting or testifying?
10. What if the defense attorney contacts me about the case?
11. What if someone threatens me to drop the charges?
12. Should I be concerned if months pass without hearing from the court or the Prosecuting Attorney's Office?
13. Where do I park?
14. Can I be compensated for losses I have suffered as a victim?